Yeah!!!!!!!! We got the snow day we’ve been wanting. 🙂
I got so caught up on housework, played games with my kiddos, built snowmen, and made a sight words game.
The game is called Broken Hearts and these are the directions:
· Print 1 copy of the game cards on cardstock or print on regular paper and mount onto construction paper and laminate.
· You may choose to print extra broken heart cards for working with a large group. Small groups should not use the complete set of cards. (having about 3-4 sight words per student up to the whole list is appropriate).
· Cut out the cards and mix them up.
(Note: this can be played by groups as small as 3 children or by your whole class at once.
Just make sure that if you are playing with the whole class you have chosen at least 2 sight words for each child that will be playing)
· Gather your group in a circle and spread out the cards face down on the floor in the middle of the circle.
· Students should take turns choosing a card from the middle of the circle.
· If the card has a heart and sight word on it the child should attempt to read the word. If they can read the word correctly they hold onto the card and the next child in the circle gets a turn. If they cannot read the word then the teacher should tell them the word, and they must put the card back in the center of the circle.
· If the card has a broken heart on it all the word cards the player is currently holding must be put back face down in the circle.
· The first person to have 5 word card hearts in their hand is the winner.
· You can increase the level of difficulty in the game by printing more broken hearts and adding more sight words.
· The more broken hearts you add to the game deck the longer it takes to finish the game.
· Students can play in heterogeneous groups because the broken hearts level the playing field a bit.
|The Broken Hearts Games are available for the Pre-Primer, Primer, First, Second, and Third grade lists.|
Grab your copy of the pre-primer, primer, first, second, or third grade list game at my TpT store. I will also be sending out free copies to the first 2 commenters on this post.~ A 10$ value for all 5 games! (Please make sure I have your email address so I can send you your copy.)